Dating

Friday, February 17, 2006

Gotta get them juices flowing...

Creative juices, that is. ;)

Let me be thoughtfully crude for a second here...

I once saw a piece of graffiti in a bathroom stall a long time ago that has stuck with me throughout my life: "Some people come here to shit and stink, I come here to sit and think." Perhaps you have seen it. Anyway, I often think of that when I am sitting on the toilet. And from all that thinking, I come up with my best ideas. Unfortunately I don't always write them down once I am done my business.

This time is different. I have now begun work on a new story that will eventually (hopefully) become my first screenplay. I don't always finish what I start. In fact, I almost never do. But the thing is, I have a better chance of finishing something that I've started than finishing something I never start to begin with. The key to good writing is, don't just talk about an idea, write it down. Then you'll be able to really see if it's a good idea or not.

So, what's my story? Well I'm not going to give it up just yet, but I will disclose the fact that I have realized that there are 2 things that people just love about movies: A loveable goof that gets the girl, and a semi-likeable asshole that learns a life lesson. If you throw in some other essential ingredients, then you just have to fill in the blanks with some good dialogue and a solid plot. I've been battling for years in my head to find an idea that is so unique and so different, but I've realized that people are afraid of different. I'll save the different until after I've become successful. :)

No comments: